I don’t know about you but I love turtles… especially when you see the turtle nest postings on the beach. Last week we talked all about Ducks and this week it’s Turtles. If you love exploring the great outdoors you will love One Tiny Turtle by Nicola Davies.
This book teaches kids all about Loggerhead turtles from how they eat to where they swim and lay eggs. The pictures are beautiful and along with the story there are tidbits of factual information all throughout the story as well.
Your little ones will learn about the life cycle of a turtle, the differences in male and female roles, and so much more. So if you are up for an adventure check out One Tiny Turtle and head to a local beach to see what evidence of a Loggerhead Turtle you can find.
One Tiny Turtle Activities
- Take a walk along a nearby beach and see what evidence of turtles you can find. Bonus points if you spot a turtle nest!
- Visit a nearby nature center to see what you can learn about turtles in your area.
- Learn about the differences between sea turtles, tortoises, and terrapins.
- In a backyard pool, lake, or at the ocean pretend to swim like a sea turtle.
- Nature walk along a nearby pond, stream, or beach and look for objects in nature that turtles might need to live or eat. Such as:
- Take a walk outside and collect some small round rocks. Once collected have your little ones paint turtle shells on them to make tiny turtles.
- Create a tiny turtle herb garden by following the steps here.
- Take a walk outside and collect tiny rocks or pebbles. Create a turtle mosaic using a paper plate, rocks, construction paper, and paint. You can find an example here.
This is the last book in Nature Walk and Book Series! I hope that you have enjoyed these books and the activities that went with them. If you have any suggestions or need ideas for anything specific for this summer please let me know.
Until next time,