Welcome back to Literature Units with Live Love Learn Gracefully. This week’s unit is based on Nory Ryan’s Song by Patricia Giff. In trying to branch out of my World War II slump, I stumbled across this gem. This novel would be fun to read around St. Patrick’s Day as you learn all about the Irish culture.
This novel will take you deep into Ireland in the 1800’s. Through this unit you will learn about life in Ireland, the Potato Famine, Immigration, hardships, and about an amazing young girl, Nory Ryan.
Nory Ryan’s Song Literature Unit
- Character Analysis
- Newspaper Article. Write a newspaper article warning people in Maidin Bay about the coming potato famine.
- Write a song/poem that describes Nory Ryan in this novel.
- Topics to research:
- Take a tour through Ireland with Time for Kids.
- Learn the parts of a Potato Plant.
- Grow a potato plant.
- STEM with Potatoes:
- Data Analysis: Practice reading and analyzing data about Immigration to America. Visit Scholastic.com for charts and graphs.
- Nutrition. Nory and her family didn’t have many options in the way of food. Analyze what she did have to eat? Learn about the proper nutrition for our bodies. Did Nory have a balanced diet? What are some things she would have needed to add?
- Locate Ireland/Maidin Bay on a World Map. Also, locate Brookyln, New York. Determine how far they had to travel.
- Research/ provide ideas for ways to combat famines. You can present this as a presentation (PowerPoint or Poster), written essay, or a speech.
- Read Immigrant Kids by Russel Freedman and Ellis Island by Kids Discovery Magazine. Then, through research and interviews with family members tell your own story.
- Volunteer at a Soup Kitchen or check out STOP Hunger now.
- Create a Celtic Knot or other Irish crafts. Check out this website for ideas, JennyKnappenberger: March Art Activities.
- Music is a large part of Nory’s life. Research and learn about traditional Irish instruments and songs. Check out Irish Central for a historical timeline and pictures.
Unique Hashtag: NoryRyansSongLLLG
Pinterest Board: Nory Ryan’s Song Literature Unit
Thank you for stopping by! I hope that you enjoy learning about Ireland and all that it has to offer. Please let me know what other fun activities you create as you work your way through this novel and unit.
Check back soon for a Literature Unit on Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor. Don’t forget to check out these Literature Units as well: